For a standard upgrade from the client, be sure to run as administrator and then click Upgrade QT Client -> Upgrade Client.
Step by step guide for safe upgrade:
- Uninstall Gridcoin client from add/remove programs
- Delete all folders related to Gridcoin from C:\Program Files for 32-bit OS and C:\Program Files (x86) for 64-bit OS
- Show hidden folders, files, and drives (In Folder Options, View tab)
- Go to %AppData%\Roaming\GridcoinResearch\ and delete all content EXCEPT your wallet.dat and gridcoinresearch.conf files, and walletbackups directory
- Download new GridcoinResearch.msi
- Right click, install as administrator
- Create a shortcut of your choosing
- Right click said shortcut, then click Properties. Go to Compatibility tab and tick Run this program as an administrator. Click Apply, then OK
- Let it sync (use Rebuild Blockchain -> Download Blocks to speed things up)
- Unlock wallet with "For Staking Only" ticked to begin staking blocks
Upgrading from Windows command prompt without client open
- Navigate to the directory where GridcoinResearch.exe is installed (on standard installation it is in C:\Program Files (x86)\GridcoinResearch) and type
Note that if you receive a C++ runtime error after upgrading you probably need to re-download your blockchain. This can be done by following step 4 and restarting wallet. If the problem persists, try reinstalling the client altogether and make sure to delete anything left over in Program Files (x86) directory after uninstalling, as required in step 2 above.